Skip to Main Content
Spalding University Library Logo

Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity

web resource for Spalding University accessiblity office



Accommodations for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing




Spalding University is committed to ensuring equal access and reasonable accommodation in its classes, services, programs, and activities, for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. The Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity (CALE) staff members and the Director of Accessibility and Learning Equity are excited to work with you. 


After you have gone through the initial meeting with CALE, you will receive an Accommodation Letter that states your approved accommodations.

  • Each year, request approved accommodations in a timely manner. Accommodations should be requested no later than a full week before the first session/semester. Some approved accommodations, such as ASL interpreting may require a more significant advance notice.
  • Each session/semester you should arrange a time to meet with each professor to discuss the specific details of implementing your accommodations in each course.


Contact us if you have any questions. 





A.    Services Provided 

Spalding University contracts with certified interpreters. Sign language interpreters serve as communication facilitators between the student and professors or teaching assistants and other participants in classes and meetings.

Spalding University is responsible for providing interpreters for:

  • Registered classes through Spalding University
  • Required class field trips
  • Group meetings or projects required for a course
    • University approved tutoring
    • Meeting with faculty during office hours
    • Meetings with staff members such as academic advisor’s or financial aid counselors
    • University-sponsored activities like performances and speaking events

The University does NOT provide interpreters for a student’s personal activities that are not sponsored by the University. These activities might include:

  • Working with a private tutor
  • Registered Student Organization (RSO) events (Kentucky Vocational Rehabilitation may have funding to help with this.)


B.      Process for Requesting Interpreter


1. Interpreter for class 

Service providers are scheduled for the length of your program’s session. Please submit a separate request for any additional services needed, such as during finals week.

To request an interpreter provider for classes:

  • Complete the Interpreter Request Form on our website, or

  • Contact CALE


2. Interpreter for University-sponsored activities outside of class 

Students requesting interpreter services for University-sponsored activities outside of the classroom (such as meetings with professors, meetings with the Financial Aid Office, or academic advising appointments), should complete the Custom Requests at least 7 school days in advance.

To request interpreter for University-sponsored activities outside of class:

  • Complete the Interpreter Request Form on our website, or
  • Contact CALE


C.    Scheduling 

The Coordinator for Accessibility Services is responsible for scheduling the interpreter after receiving the interpreter requestsInterpreter will not be able to make changes to their work assignment(s) directly from a student’s request. CALE will not pay for interpreting services that have not been authorized or assigned by the Coordinator for Accessibility Services prior to the service provision. Students must speak with the Coordinator for Accessibility Services for further work assignments.

Factors the Coordinator for Accessibility Services will be attentive to when scheduling interpreter are:

  • student language preference
  • interpreter availability
  • subject matter
  • class schedules
  • timeliness of the request

While student preferences for interpreting services will be given every consideration, we cannot guarantee that a student’s preference will be granted.


D.    Faculty Notification

Upon registering for a course, students should reach out to introduce themselves to their faculty members and discuss any logistics for the course (i.e. field trips, meetings other than class time, exams with auditory components, captioned videos, etc.).


E.      Establishing a Working Relationship with Interpreter

On the first day of class, introduce yourself to the service provider and discuss service delivery options and your communication preferences. For a successful working relationship, give the service provider constructive instructions and feedback, when needed. Examples might include providing input to interpreters if their finger spelling is unclear, suggesting signs that would be clearer, or asking the interpreter to sit or stand in your preferred placement within the room.


F.       How to Resolve Problems with Interpreter

Have problems or concerns about the interpreter? Here are some steps that should be taken to resolve the problem: First, communicate directly with the interpreter to try to resolve any problems. Often, communication with the interpreter will result in a satisfactory resolution. If the problem is not resolved following recent step, contact the Coordinator for Accessibility Services to discuss and work out problems with your interpreter.



Service Request Timeline 

Type of Service

Time Required

Sign Language Interpreter

  • Requests for communication access services are made by contacting the Center for Accessiblity and Learning Equity (CALE).
  • Recurring classroom and multi-day event requests are due at least 7 days in advance.
  • Requests for one-time events and meetings are due at least 7 days in advance.

Clinicals, Clerkships,
Practicums, Externships,
Internships, etc.

  • Accommodations relevant for non-classroom activities should be discussed as soon as possible with CALE. The process to evaluate, design and implement accommodations in these settings need to be done well in advance of the start of the fieldwork and preferably before locations are assigned, since accommodations at these sites can involve a multi-department effort.

Field Trips/Study Abroad

  • Requests for accommodations on field trips/study abroad trips are due in writing at least 4 weeks prior to the departure date.


Late Requests: 

Untimely requests may result in delay, substitutions, or the inability to fulfill the request(s).

Canceling and Modifying Interpreter Requests: 

When missing class, modifying or cancelling a request, please provide notification more than 72 hours in advance whenever possible.

Absences and Late Arrivals: 

If you are going to be absent or arriving more than 15 minutes late to class, please notify the CALE as soon as possible. In the event of frequent absences, the Director of the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity will request a meeting to discuss effective use of accommodations.

Also contact the CALE if your interpreter is late, or does not show up. If a substitute provider cannot be found, CALE will arrange for audio recording the class and provide a transcript in a timely manner.

ASL Interpreter Request