Skip to Main Content
Spalding University Library Logo

Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity

web resource for Spalding University accessiblity office

New and Prospective Students





We're delighted you've chosen to be a part of the Spalding Family. If you are in need of any type of accommodation(s) at Spalding--whether due to a learning or physical disability, a medical or mental health condition, or a temporary impairment, please complete our Request for Accommodation Application, and we will provide you with next steps. If you've like to receive guidance over the phone or in a web meeting, please email us at [email protected]

Please Note: Even if students with disabilities shared information about their disability with Spalding Admissions, that information is not shared with our office. Individual Education Plans (IEP's) and 504 plans from high school are generally not considered sufficient documentation at the post-secondary level, but in some cases may contain the test report and scores required. At the university level, it is the student's responsibility to pay all costs involved in obtaining evaluations and documentation of a disability.


If you are unable to provide documentation from a psychiatrist, psychologist, or certified mental health professional please reach out to Spalding University’s Counseling and Psychological Services for a full battery of assessments at no additional charge. This process may take one or more sessions for the Spalding University Counseling Center to schedule.

Understanding High School Versus College Accommodations:

The transition from high school to college can bring about many questions. The graph below will help understand how college accommodations differ from high school.

High School


Law/Act guiding accommodations

IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Premise is success in school

ADA: Americans with

Disabilities Act

Premise is access to all

Documentation Requirements

IEP and/or 504Plan

Evaluation is done at school by a teacher, principal, and/or school psychologist

Free to student

Documentation must provide proof of functional limitations and need for specific accommodations.

Must be a psychological and/or physical evaluation done by a doctor or clinical psychologist.

Student is responsible for obtaining proper documentation. Students may request evaluation through the Spalding Counseling and Psychological Services Center at no addition cost.

Accommodation letter

Letter has student outcomes, criteria, and instructional practices that can be modified as needed

Letter is meant to make reasonable accommodations for classes that will not alter the content or requirements of the class

Student Role

A student’s need for accommodation is identified by the school

Teachers may approach you if they believe an accommodation is needed

Student must self-identify and apply for accommodation

Professors expect students to seek help and make arrangements if needed

Parental Role

Parent has access and can advocate for student

Parent cannot access records unless student consents

Students are expected to be primary advocate for their needs

Furthermore, the accommodations, if given, will lead differences in the classroom.

High School


Student Expectations

Time management and assignments are structured by teachers

Consistent daily routine

Students function with structure, guidance, and specific direction by teacher

Time management and assignment completion is done independently

Daily schedule is not consistent and may have large blocks of empty time

Students must function (study, take notes, and finish assignments) independently

Class Instruction

25-30 hours per week in the classroom

Learning is teacher focused

Short writing assignments with direction as to the writing process

12-15 hours in the classroom

Learning is student centered

Substantial writing assignments with little/no direction


IEP may include test modifications for format and/or grading

Testing consists of a small amount of information

Grading and format changes are generally not available in college. Instead, testing accommodations include differences in how tests are given (ex: extended time, reader, breaks, distraction reduced environments)

Testing is infrequent and covers vast amounts of materials


Many assignments make up your final grade

Teachers frequently go over grades and expectations

Possibility that few assignments with significant weight will make up your final grade

Long term assignments common

Students are expected to keep track of their own grades and expectations

Study Responsibilities

Tutoring may be provided by school through IEP

0-2 hours expected for studying outside of class

Short reading assignments

Test materials only include information covered in class and assigned to students

Tutoring is not included in accommodations however Spalding has tutoring and study halls available

No private tutoring available through college accommodations

Substantial reading assignments

2-3 hours of studying outside of class is expected per hour in class

Test materials may include outside information, such as applications of information and assignments given in class




For Current and Returning Students



If you have been granted academic accommodations but are not currently using them, it’s not too late to do so! You just need to ensure that you allow 72-hour notice for any test proctoring needed. 

Renewals should be submitted each academic year.  Please use the Application for Accommodations. If your documentation is current (no more than 3 years old), you do not need to resubmit each year. If you are requesting changes to your accommodations, please note that additional documentation or information via intake may be requested. 

If you have any questions about accommodations at Spalding based on a disability or temporary impairment, please look through this website for information. If you still have remaining questions, If you'd like to receive guidance over the phone or via web-meeting, please email us at [email protected] to set up a meeting time.